Monday, March 5, 2012

Growing THE PLAYERS: Food for turf

There are many different forms of slow-release nitrogen available to use as fertilizer for turfgrass. Three forms of slow-release nitrogen that we use on a regular basis for are: sulfur-coated urea (SCU), polymer-coated urea (PCU), and methylene urea (MU). These three fertilizers have different mechanisms in which nitrogen is released, ultimately impacting the nitrogen availability for turfgrass uptake.  Below is the link to a well written article by Dr. Jerry Sartain, a Professor of Turfgrass Science at the University of Florida- Gainesville.  Dr. Sartain discusses SCU, PCU, MU, and some of the other popular slow release nitrogen products used for turfgrass nutrition.  Follow the link for more information: 

This image shows two slow release nitrogen sources: Harrells Polyon 43-0-0 (green) and 
Lesco Poly Plus 39-0-0 (yellow)